Vragen stellen en oplossingen geven

Moderator: ruben

ThreadLock
Matgroentje
Contacteer:

Diesel Engine Conversion Questions

Berichtdoor ThreadLock » do 30 dec 2021 10:32

Hi guys,

I was wondering what diesel engine and gearboxes have been used successfully in the YA126?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a 126 but should I go ahead, it would be my intent to swap out the engine and possibly the gearbox for a diesel...

Can the original gearbox bolt up to other engines and is the gearbox a Borg Warner or a Spicer?

I'm looking at a Ford Dover Engine 2725e but I'm a bit stuck on the gearbox to use with it...

Thanks for any help and sorry for using English, I'm afraid I don't know any Dutch so apologies...

Dikkie
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Re: Diesel Engine Conversion Questions

Berichtdoor Dikkie » do 30 dec 2021 15:52

Hello Threadlock and welcome on our forums,

I believe the gearbox on the hercules engine is a Borg-Warner T98

For engine swaps, there have been quite a few already. The DAF 475 used to be common but are rare nowadays, some have used DAF 575 or even 615, and some went for a mercedes or iveco diesel engine (including one with only 4 cilinders). There's plenty of choice. I am now familiar with the mentioned 2725e, its size or specifications.
DM-62-40 (WEP), BE-22-24 (Takeldoos)
WWDD: What Would Dikkie Do?
AfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeelding

ThreadLock
Matgroentje
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor ThreadLock » do 30 dec 2021 18:15

Hello Threadlock and welcome on our forums,

I believe the gearbox on the hercules engine is a Borg-Warner T98

For engine swaps, there have been quite a few already. The DAF 475 used to be common but are rare nowadays, some have used DAF 575 or even 615, and some went for a iveco diesel engine. There's plenty of choice. I am now familiar with the mentioned 2725e, its size or specifications.
Thanks Dikkie and may I just say that your 126 is a credit to you as it is 'Pukka' meaning WOW! :D

I did think it was a T98 but wanted to check and no doubt the Warner boxes and bullet proof as my personal experience of Borg Warner boxes extend in to marine applications of which they are practically indestructible! Did you use the T98 in your build? If not, which box did you go with?

My goal here is to make a decision on direction to take when I have the 126 in front of me as I am just finalising the last parts of a complicated deal on one of these vehicles. My options are to remove the Hercules engine and replace with a diesel (most likely a BT6 Cummins or a Perkins 6354 as Ive ruled out the ford engine) or stick with the Hercules and LPG it...

Keeping the originality is not key but more a nice way to go but Im really worried about the country's direction on not only the price of petrol but also the fact that I fear we may go down the road of E10 only pumps... Im not even sure the 126 tanks would survive E10 never mind the valve seats and other metals and rubbers that the E10 Fuel would touch, hence my reason to go diesel...

When you say "Mercedes or Iveco diesel engine (including one with only 4 cylinders)" can you reference particular engines? Perhaps the 606 Merc engine is it? First and foremost, it has to be of an age where Im not messing around with electronics... I really don't want that as Id like to keep it as simple and the rest of the vehicle 'IF' I go this direction...

Thanks for your response and looking forward to engaging with yourself further if thats ok with you?

Kelvin

ThreadLock
Matgroentje
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor ThreadLock » do 30 dec 2021 18:17

Guys,

is the DAF 615 the same dimensions as the 825? I only ask as a friend of mine has an 815 in the back of his shed...

Kelvin

Dikkie
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Berichtdoor Dikkie » do 30 dec 2021 20:27

Thanks for the compliment! I used to own a YA126 conversed to a DAF 575 diesel engine, but that was definitely not a proper build - the nose was extended. I sold it and it's currently being restored to perfect state by its current owner.

My first and currently only YA126, the DM-62-40, has the original Hercules JXC engine, and therefor also its original T98 gearbox. It is in the process of being built to drive on LPG.

For the mercedes/iveco engines, sorry, I don't know any specific engine models or numbers.

As for the 615, that is probably the biggest there is to fit in a YA126 and will require some proper work such as shortening the output axle, putting the engine/gearbox in a angle (front higher than gearbox), redefining the location/size of radiator, airfilter, etc.
The 825 is a physically bigger engine than the 615 and probably won't fit.
DM-62-40 (WEP), BE-22-24 (Takeldoos)
WWDD: What Would Dikkie Do?
AfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeelding

Terug naar “Techniek YA126”